1. ENTRY to the Choir is by audition. Re-auditions are held at five-yearly intervals.
2. An ANNUAL SUBSCRIPTION * is currently £100 full membership; £ students (tbc). The subscription may be paid in instalments or by monthly standing order by arrangement with the Treasurer.
3. REHEARSALS are held weekly on Mondays from 7.30 – 9.30 p.m. in the Hall of Cemetery Road Baptist Church, 11 Napier Street, S11 8HA (opposite Waitrose car park). Final rehearsals for Saturday performances are usually held at 1.15 (for 1.30 p.m. sharp) on the day at the place of the performance.
4. MAJOR PERFORMANCES** in Sheffield are given on Saturdays (usually five per season) and Messiah is given on the first (very occasionally the second) Monday in December.
5. ATTENDANCE is expected at all rehearsals and major performances. Please inform the Choir Secretary of any unavoidable absence, preferably in advance, or by message on the mobile number on the day itself. (A note on the attendance register, or by e-mail is adequate).
6. MUSIC: Members are expected to provide their own copies of Messiah, Mass in B minor (any edition), St. Matthew Passion (Novello – in English) and St. John Passion (Novello – in English). Copies of other music are usually hired, but members pay for their own copies when necessary. Hired copies lost or damaged must be paid for and fines are imposed for late return.
7. DRESS for concerts is as follows:-
Women - long black skirt (ankle length) or loose black trousers (no jeans or leggings) with high neck and long sleeved top.
Gold scarf available from Social Secretary, who will give guidelines on its positioning. Black footwear & black tights/pop-socks.
Men – black Dinner Jackets, black bow ties.
8. The Committee may exclude from the Choir any member who fails to comply with these rules or whose conduct at a rehearsal or concert or in any other way is deemed by the Committee to be unacceptable.
Liz Arnesen Choir Secretary
Note: * subject to change
** Other performances may be given from time to time.
Attendance at these performances is usually voluntary.
18th May 1988, Amended September 1988, April 1992. Ladies dress code amended September 2002.